Sunday, April 02, 2006

One Week - Two Worlds

Dykstra kids with cousin Amelia, April 2

It is Sunday afternoon and I am sitting in a surreal moment. For the last several days we have been on vacation with Molly's family at a wonderful resort in Tucson. As I have been playing with the kids in the pool, laying in the sun drinking an endless selection of beverages, eating great food etc., I have been struck by the strange reality that on Friday I will be in Lusaka, Zambia. It seems almost impossible that these two worlds exsist, much less that I will touch the two extremes in the span of a few days.

We understand the concept of blessing in a place like this - however, what does "blessing" mean to a child who has just lost both of their parents to AIDS? How do we, as followers of Jesus, even begin to reconcile these two worlds? I don't think we can. I am often reminded that what God wanted for his children was the Garden of Eden, which is much closer to where I am sitting as I write this. He continues to have, I think, this same dream for His creation. "The Kingdom of God, on Earth as it is in Heaven..." So, I do not doubt the gift of these last few days. Instead, I am grateful beyond measure because -- when I stop and think about it -- I am grateful on behalf of literally tens of millions for whom where I sit is as far out of reach as the moon.

As I prepare to leave for the month I feel the weight of the decision we are making. For all I have travelled these last 5 years, I have never been gone anywhere near as long as a month --Much less gone to try to begin setting up a new life in Zambia. I feel a deep need for your prayers for myself and for my family. Please pray that I will not feel overwhelmed with all that is coming at me and that I can begin to get our family set up with things like housing etc.

I will keep you posted on this trip - for those of you in the Twin Cities, pls. love my wife and kids while I am gone. Peace.

p.s. If you have not done so already, Please go to Skype and download their free software that will enable us to talk for free over the internet. All you need is a $9 headset that plugs into your computer. Once you have registered, our user name is dykstrafamily - plug us in and let us know you are "Skypers".

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Dallman said...

Jeff & Molly- I heard about the move from the Sev's. I am excited for you and inspired by your faithfulness. Jeff I know this is something the Lord has gifted and guided you toward for quite some time now. The kiddos look great, wow they've grown! I look forward to reading your entries, and Kimi and I will keep you and the fam in our prayers.
We love you guys!
The Dallmans

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Dykstra Family!


powered by Bloglet