Monday, August 06, 2007

Moving Forward

Watching the coverage of the bridge collapse – a place so familiar – from overseas has been a strange experience. Like most people, we have been shocked that something so taken for granted could just disappear. Yet another reminder that there are very few things, apart from God, that we can truly count on. Our hearts go out to those who are suffering and we are grateful and amazed at the low death toll – seeing the pictures it is hard to believe that hundreds did not lose thier lives. I just read a great editorial from a Chicago Tribune writer that speaks to the collective character of my adopted state. Those of you from Minnesota will appreciate this letter.

Here in Zambia our lives have returned to some level of normal after a crazy couple weeks. Lucas continues to live with us, and we are working closely with his mother to try to get her in a position to care for her kids, which she has expressed as her desire. Namushi had a home partially constructed that we are working to get bids on for completion. Lucas and the other three kids seem to be doing well and it has been a privilege for our family to get to have Lucas with us in this time. If any of you are in a position to help us finish the house we would be grateful for that support. See the end of the last posting for information on how to give. I’m guessing the total cost to finish the house will be less than $5,000.

Our water issue has mostly resolved itself. We had the water tested and it came back with a clean bill of health. Sure it still smells a little like paint, but we can live with that.

Be well.

The Dykstra Family

3 Comments:

Blogger Lindsey said...

Hi Jeff, I recvieved your contact info from Fred Smith. I'm a a graduate student at Baylor University and am trying to wrangle up some Zambian health worker contacts to answer a short survey for my thesis. If you know of any doctors, missionaries, community health workers, etc. that would be willing to respond to an e-mail survey, I would be forever grateful for their e-mail addresses. You can e-mail me at Lindsey_Cazac@baylor.edu

Thanks so much, and God Bless your beautiful family

12:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Molly and Jeff,

We’ve heard about the terrible news of Namushi’s death from our friends Debbie and Tom Ventimiglia. Namushi worked for us as our gardener from June 1999 to January 2004. During this period he and his family lived on our plot and our children Lucas and Clara became close friends with Quinten and Exit. We would like to help his children and would appreciate it very much if you could get in touch with us. Our e-mail account is gabiynils@raha.com.

Many thanks,

Gabi & Nils Gade
Dar es Salaam
Tanzania

7:17 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

Dykstra family...I have been sitting at a coffee shop for the last three hours going through your website and reading your story from the beginning. I am just now learning about this part of your life and am catching up on the last few years all in one sitting.

The tears have not stopped pouring down my face. I have been run over by emotions of sadness, joy, rage, grief, jealousy, celebration, despair, hope.

I am struck by the spirit of your kids...their tenderness, their realness, the evidence of Jesus' spirit in them, the 'molly and jeff -ness' in them. I am drawn to them. I want to hang out with them and play for awhile.

I am rocked by your stories, your journal entries (Molly's entry on the dychotomy of living there as a rich white person killed me), the way you chose to tell your story there. The whole picture you have provided without glory and overly inflated tales of miraculous intervention, but with deep truth and agony and very clear picture of the reality of your life and of the life of the people you walk by every day. My heart hurts, actually physically hurts right now as I enter into your world. I feel guilty admitting that the hurt actually feels good to me. The good is that the hurt is like an old friend who knows me and that comfort in your gutt when you really feel known. The guilt is that I get to feel that because of other people's poverty and pain.

I don't know how to articulate all that is going on for me right now, but I want you to know that you have gifted me today. In the midst of my life that feels overwhelming (which is why I am sitting in a coffee shop for a few hours alone because my sweet husband took the kids away for a few days to give me quite space to rest and listen) I have run into your story and it has reminded me of lots of things that feel buried way down deep. I am struggling to make life be what I want it to be for my family. Another meeting with disappointment and having to walk with myself and all its broken parts. I am aware that this encounter with your family has much to do with what Jesus has been whispering to me for awhile. You have encouraged my soul. You have reminded me of some things that bring me life.

You are doing it. You are living...with all its tragedy and all its glory. God has given you the severe mercy of experiencing what you have. It is severe....but it is so merciful. I hope you can be encouraged that your life has given me deep joy today.

Thank you. Thank you for the gift you gave me today. Your story brings me life...(and makes me miss you :)

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Dykstra Family!


powered by Bloglet