Friday, September 29, 2006

Interviews with the Kids....



Greetings friends - A lot of you have been wondering about the kids and their perspective on things...So, here is the first installment of "From the Mouth of Babes" Unedited.

What would you most like to say to friends and family back home?

Mackenzie: I really miss you guys - I can’t wait to have you visit/see you in Minnesota
Clara: Africa is really fun. I think you would like it. And I miss you.
Bennett: I miss you and I can’t wait to see you again.

What has been the best part about living in Zambia?

Mackenzie: How the people are so friendly. For example, everyone you wave at waves back.
Clara: I think my school because it’s fun and American!
Bennett: Umm, playing in the yard and pool.

Describe your School?

Mackenzie: The people are nice and there are no hallways, everything is outside. We have lunch under a nice thatched roof, there are pretty plants and flowers everywhere.
Clara: Very pretty, Like Linden Hills Park except with flowers all over it.
Bennett: My teacher is nice, my classroom has doors, a little pathway, and a house, right in front there is a bookshelf, that’s all.

What are some things you have been learning in class?

Mackenzie: We’ve been learning about how the government works in Zambia which has been fun because we just had elections here. We’ve been learning about organizations and systems and have been responsible for setting up our classroom.
Clara: I’ve been learning about soil, media, computers, some of the same things I did last year which can be kinda boring.
Bennett: I’ve been learning about families, the letters M and H, and Uh, Annie the Apple and how to scooter outside, that’s it.

What are some things you miss about home?

Mackenzie: I miss my really good friends, drive through restaurants, and family, my house, neighbors and school.
Clara: I miss my friends, family and Noodles & Chipoltle.
Bennett: I miss my friends, Uncle Brad and Aunt Carrie and all the relatives.

What kind of activities are you doing now?

Mackenzie: School swim team, horseback riding, and swimming A LOT in our pool.
Clara: Swim Team, Riding, Mtn. Bike Riding and Jump roping.
Bennett: Riding horses, sword fights, swimming


What are you learning living in closer proximity to the poor?

Mackenzie: I’m learning that the world is not perfect and through TFC (charity the kids have started) we are getting closer to the poor. I’m learning that we can re-use lots of things and that we have a lot to learn from their positive spirits.
Clara: I’m learning that not everyone has money and that the houses they live in our not as good and that they are in danger from mosquitos. I’m learning that many poor are friendly and are strong Christians.
Bennett: It feels weird in my head.


Which football team do you like the most, Denver Broncos or the Vikes?

Mackenzie: Broncs.
Clara: Denver Broncos.
Bennett: The broncos.

(Oh yea, says Dad.)

Who would you have voted for in the Zambian Presidential election and why?

Mackenzie: Mwanawasa because of his help to the poor and people seem happy with what he is doing.
Clara: HH, because I hear he is a good man.
Bennett: Mwanawasa, because I like him.

Tell us the names of a few new friends and where are they from?

Mackenzie: Holly (U.S.) Quinn (U.S.) and Natasha (Zimbabwe), Jessica (U.S.)
Clara: Poppy, (Zambia/England) Scarlett (England) Juni (Norway)
Bennett: Nathan (Zambia), Issac (U.S.), Lucas (Zambia)


If we moved home today, how has living here in Zambia impacted or changed you?

Mackenzie: I won’t take as much for granted and I’ll appreciate little things.
Clara: I've realized that not a lot of people have the things that we do.
Bennett: I’m funnier.


What are a couple new words you have learned and what do they mean?

Mackenzie: Chips= French Fries, Trainers = Tennis Shoes, Knickers = Underwear
Clara: Muilbwanji = Hello, Bwana= Boss, Crisps= Potato Chips, Bisquits= Cookies.
Bennett: What?!

What is your favorite thing about Katie Mooty?

Mackenzie: She lets us have overnights in her room.
Clara: Her loving spirit.
Bennett: She plays with me.


What are some things you like about George, Dorothy or Oswald? (People who help at our house.)

Mackenzie: George and Dorothy keep me company and Oswald is just a great guy.
Clara: Dorothy is so joyful even though she is a widow, George is so friendly and teaches us about plants and animals in the yard, Oswald does his job and doesn’t quit.
Bennett: Oswald is really nice, Dorothy is really nice and George because he is really nice too.


Give us one highlight of your first couple months living in Zambia?

Mackenzie: Arriving here and seeing all the similarities and differences.
Clara: The reptile farm with all the crocs and snakes!
Bennett: Playing with my friends.

How has living here made you feel about our family?

Mackenzie: Really connected, I can go to them with everything.
Clara: I feel more close to them because my Dad is around more and my mom picks us up everday at school and Bennett and Mackezie and I are closer because we have to rely on each other more.
Bennett: Umm, I don’t know.

So, there you have it. We are doing well. Grateful to be here but missing home and many of you....

Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your email address below to subscribe to The Dykstra Family!


powered by Bloglet